It has been an interesting year for me, and by and large, a very good one. As I am writing this post, it is hard to believe that this is the same year I was sitting at my desk at work reading about all the layoffs in publishing. I remember all the doom and gloom, of people saying no new writers would be published and only the already established bestsellers had a shot in this market. Not that there isn't a lot of darkness hanging over publishing right now, but I have always chosen to be cautiously optimistic, and well, this year, it certainly paid off.
Career-wise, here are my 2009 highlights:
- ONCE BITTEN, my very first novel, was released.
- I signed a deal for five more books in the Haven series.
- Lucienne sent the first book in a new Urban Fantasy series to New York, and within two weeks we had an offer. After the book went to auction, I ended up with a three book deal from ACE/Roc.
- Not exactly career, but . . . I wrote and revised two and a half books in 2009, almost all of that while working full time. It gives me hope for what I can do in 2010.
Here are some non-career highlights from 2009:
- I learned to hoop dance and am now one of the founding members of the Columbia Hoop troop (which made it in a front page article on hooping.org following World Hoop Day) and of the performing/teaching group Lunatrixs.
- I ended up on stage with the members of Cruxshadows during their Dragon*Con concert.
- I spoke on a panel with Charlaine Harris.
There are probably more things I should list, but I can't think of them at the moment, so I think those are both pretty healthy lists. It was a good year, and I'm hoping 2010 will be even better. What are your top highlights from 2009? Are you looking back on the previous year favorably, or hoping the new year brings new luck?
For anyone interested, I've been invited to join The Magic District Blog. I posted for the first time today. You can check it out here.
Have a happy and safe New Year!