Doubts and HTML

Doubt is one of the banes of my existence.I have been working on building my webpage tonight, but I have been sitting here staring at my screen completely at loss for at least twenty minutes now. Why? Because I am trying to write up a blurb on my book.

I have written two synopsizes, several summaries, and even have a short blurb posted on Myspace, but I hate all of them. How can it be so hard to describe something that I, myself, wrote? I have worked in bookstores for years, and I quickly pitch books to customers all the time, but I can't even write an enticing blurb about my own book.

The only thing that comes to mind is that the plot must be flaky. See there's that nasty doubt raring its head. My readers liked it, but we all know that doesn't count for much. My agent likes it. That actually matters, and is something I should keep in mind.

But still the dark tinge of doubt clings to me. It could be that I'm too close to the novel. It's not that I have nothing to say, it's that I have too much and it is messy. I've been told that you should be able to describe the main plot of a book in a sentence or two. For instance, if I were describing Kim Harrison's first novel Dead witch Walking, I would say:
---Rachel, the main character, is a witch and a bounty hunter, but when she quits her job, the company puts a hit out on her life.

A lot more happens in the book, but it is easy to pick that out as a main plot. I can't seem to do that with DH to save my life. Maybe I should ask my readers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GRAVE WAR is here!

The Revision Game, Part one--2nd drafts: The Big Picture

What's Next?