Thursday, September 21, 2006

R.I.P. fish and Max

Since the fantasy worlds I write are not reality, I have to accept that all living things have to die.

Sometimes it's shocking and sometimes it's merciful, but it is always painful.

I woke up today to find my Beta floating upside down in his bowl. Yesterday I thought he had looked a little sick, and I guess I was right. He was around two years old, and I don't know what the average lifespan for a Beta is, but that sounds like a long time for a fish sold for two dollars in a plastic cup. I think my fish had a good life: he had a pretty bowl, was fed regularly, and liked to swim over and look at people.

Max was my mother-in-law's beagle. He was old and had been sick for a long time, but he was a sweet little dog. I got the call a couple hours ago to let me know that she had taken him to be put down. It wasn't that surprising, she had tried to take him a few times before, but always turned around before she got to the vet. It is still sad though.

Rest in peace fish and Max. You both will be missed.

1 comment:

fred charles said...

I got a beta a few months ago for my daughter. I think that they live 2-3 years. I thought that he was getting sick but he seems better now!