What I'm reading

I've had a blah couple of days, so I hit the bookstore to make me feel better.

GreyWalker by Kat Richardson hit the shelves last week. The book is only out in trade right now, and she is a first time author, but I'd heard some good stuff so I decided to spend the extra bit and give her a chance. It started out a little rocky(or maybe that was my mood while reading) but once it picked up it was hard to put the book down. The book's biggest fault was the psychobabble by characters speaking for the writer and telling us about the 'grey.' That was forgivable though, and the book is well worth the extra price of the trade cover (though to be fair, most UF is out there in mass market and lots of it is well worth HC to me.) Great novel. I recomend it and look forward to the next one, which is due to be out fall 2008.

Kitty goes to Washington by Carrie Vaughn is the second book in a series. The first book, Kitty and the Midnight Hour was great. Not I'm dying to get more great, but still good and looking forward to the next one great. This one was even better though. I feel like the author grew a lot between the first and second book, and lots of the little annoyances I had with the first one were worked out better in the second. That said, both books are funny, fast paced, and filled with snappy dialogue. Pick up the series if your looking for a fun urban fantasy.

Glass Houses by Rachel Caine. (Yes, I did just read a different book by her last week, sue me.) I had the hardest time finding this book. I wandered all around the bookstore and finally had to break down and ask. It was in young adult section, which, was not a mistake. Was the book good? Yes, I loved it, but I always have a hard time relating to main characters flustered over their first kiss when I'm used to characters rolling into bed with someone at least once in a book. Still, it was a fun and fast read, and because as previously said, Ms Caine is the evil queen of cliffhangers, it ended with me going "Wait no...you can't stop there...." So yes, I will be buying the next one. If YA UF isn't a total deal breaker for you, pick it up.

You'll probably notice none of those little reviews tell you anything about the books themselves, just my impressions. Sorry. Follow the links to amazon and read the blurbs there. So far I've read three books in as many days and I'm ready to make another B&N run if I don't get out of my slump soon. *sigh*

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've had a hard time with reading Fantasy in the last year or two. With the exception of George R. R. Martin's excellent Song of Fire and Ice series, most of it seem samey to me.

I'm just getting through Thud! by Terry Pratchett and it's like a breath of fresh air. I'm amazed at how much depth there is to it. And it's fun too!

Popular posts from this blog

GRAVE WAR is here!

The Revision Game, Part one--2nd drafts: The Big Picture

What's Next?