What I've been reading

Well, I read far too many books during November. (I think my final count was around 10 books… yes, that is one of the reasons I didn’t meet my 95k word goal.) Out of those books, I want to point out a couple of my favorites:

I’ve been really impressed with the LUNA publishing line, they’ve been putting out some real winners. Poison Study and Magic Study by Maria Snyder are probably my favorite books read this month. It’s been a while since I read a high fantasy novel I couldn’t get enough of. I think the magic of these books are that she combines what I love from UF (first person, kick ass female character) with traditional fantasy elements (roughly medieval setting and magic.) I highly recommend Ms Snyder’s books to any fantasy lover!

I’m a huge fan of Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum novels, so when I heard she released a book on writing, I had to pick it up. How I write was fun to read and filled with great advice, but if you’ve read other writing books, you probably won’t find anything new. I enjoyed reading about Ms Evanovich’s process in writing the books and her comments on the excepts she chose to use as examples. If you love the Plum novels, you’ll probably enjoy this book.

Sometimes books I’m really looking forward to reading get lost in my TBR pile. That was definitely the case with my copy of Don’t Look Down. I had the wonderful opportunity to see a panel about the book by Jennifer Cruise and Bob Mayer last February and scored the book shortly after. Both writers were hysterical in the panel and I left really excited about the book, but by the time I picked it up, other things got in the way of my reading it. I forgot I owned it until the middle of last month. This book was as funny as the panel indicated, and I couldn’t believe how well their voices complimented one another. In my experience, consistency is a problem in co-authored books, but these two pulled it off wonderfully. Having heard them talk about the book before reading it made the experience even more fun.

Comments

Rachel Vincent said…
Holy crap! You read 10 books and wrote 50,000 words? I'm totally intimidated. Seriously.

BTW, Luna is who originally bought my books, but they're actually coming out from Mira now. But I'm glad to hear such good things about Luna, because my editor is the head of that line. ;-)
Anonymous said…
I've been reading "jingo" by Terry Pratchett. I've read four of his book s in a row but I'm a bit burned out at this point. I will probably read A Feast of Crows by George R. R. Martin next.

Popular posts from this blog

GRAVE WAR is here!

The Revision Game, Part one--2nd drafts: The Big Picture

What's Next?