Please Insert Coffee to Activate this Brain

The title of this post is a bit misleading, as 1) I don’t drink coffee and 2) I want to talk about how useful mornings can be.

Yes, you read that correctly. I said mornings can be useful.

Now, before going any further, I would like to point out that I am not a morning person. Given half the opportunity, I revert to a schedule where I sleep through most of those pesky morning hours. My 9 to 5 doesn’t give me that opportunity. (Why do they call it a 9 to 5 anyway? I have to be here at 8:30. . . ) Usually my mornings consist of me staring at my alarm clock, willing the time not to go by so I don’t have to go to work. When I finally get up (late) I have to bustle to get to work (still late) then I drag myself through the rest of the morning.

If you’ve been following my twitter feed, you know that I recently moved. This move turned a 45 minute commute to work every morning into five minutes. I could sleep those extra forty minutes (or stare at the clock) and probably would have, but with my deadline approaching, I’ve been dragging myself out of bed for extra writing time.

I don’t write in the morning. I never have. But now I am. And it is wonderful.

These past two weeks, it has been easier to talk myself out of bed. And, because I feel accomplished, I’ve been in a better mood at work. It’s amazing. Granted, new habits are sometimes only shiny for a short period, and there is a good chance I’ll fall out of the routine (especially since I’m hoping to finish the first draft Monday.) But for now, I highly recommend waking up and writing in the morning.

Current progress on HB2:

73694 / 90000 words. 82% done!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GRAVE WAR is here!

The Revision Game, Part one--2nd drafts: The Big Picture

What's Next?