Postal Woes

I'm starting to think my post office has something against me.

Mailing a package should be a simple process, and my stress should be over what is in the package, not how it is getting to its destination, right? Well, this week, that hasn't been the case. (Edit: Not that the stress over what is in the package was missing. I've just had extra stress with shipping.)

I had an important package I needed to ship this week. I'm accustomed to shipping manuscripts and books at this point, so I know the whole 16 oz rule (in which any package weighing over a certain amount has to be shipped from the post office.) So, early this week, I walked up to my local post office and shipped my package. The meter wasn't working, so the woman at the desk sold me stamps--which in hindsight, I should have taken as a warning. Anyway, I didn't, but I did feel insecure enough to pay extra to track the package.

I'm glad I did.

My very important package floated in nowhere-space for a while, then the tracking listed it as being delivered--to my address. A side note about this address: I'm moving at the end of next week, so I went ahead and used what will be my new address as the return address. This was admittedly not my brightest idea, but I never assumed the package would be coming back. That said, I had to contact my brand new land lady and beg her to contact the current tenant(who didn't move out until yesterday) so I could reclaim my package and see what went wrong. I was sure I must have screwed up and put my address in the wrong spot (which would totally be something I would do, but knowing that, I actually checked before I mailed it.)

Well, once I got the package back, I discovered the shipping issue was no fault of mine, but that of my post office--they forgot to mark it received. Okay, so back to the post office.

At this point it was Friday and the package was now several days behind schedule. There was no apology from the post office, of course, but on top of that, I ended up paying more to ship it priority instead of the much more cost efficient media mail. *sigh* While I was there, I asked about my tracking number and if I needed a new one. I was assured I did not, and after forking over several extra dollars, I left my package in the post office's questionable hands.

This morning I checked the tracking. Status: Delivered. The same delivered status and date as when the package was dropped off at the return address. Apparently my money spent on tracking has been wasted, and I must now trust the post office to get my package where it is going. They have not thus far inspired me with much faith.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I think, next time, I'll be walking the extra bit to take my packages to a different post office.

Happy Saturday everyone! Someone tell me they had a less frustrating week than me?

(Edited to add missing words.)

Comments

I'm sorry about your frustrating week. That's got to be a pain. Let me know if there is anything I can do.
Marcia Colette said…
To add insult to injury, they're raising the price of stamps and USPS is petitioning Congress to cut out Saturday delivery. In other words, they want more pay for less work. Can we say what the h***?

Anyway, fingers crossed your package gets to where it needs to go. And that part about putting your new address on the package, though you're not quite there yet? I've done that too. Luckily, the mail guy had the sense enough to leave my package at the apartment office.
Kalayna Price said…
Thanks Darlene! (Just keep your fingers crossed with me that the package gets where it is going this time. lol)

Hey Marcia! No Saturday mail? I mean, I know people send less mail these days, but seriously?
LOL, at least I'm not the only one who looks ahead and puts a near future return address on a package. I might have learned my lesson with this one though. (Next time I'll use my work address!) I'll see you in a couple weeks at ConCarolinas! (Do you know which panels you'll be on?)
Marcia Colette said…
Thank goodness I plan on being in my townhouse a looooong time. No more future return addresses for a while.

And here's my conference schedule for ConCarolinas: http://marciacolette.wordpress.com/2009/05/09/my-covention-schedule-has-arrived-again/. If nothing else, you have to come to the urban fantasy panel. Trust me on that. :-D
Kalayna Price said…
Ack. Now you can see how behind I am on reading blogs (you posted the schedule several days ago!)

Popular posts from this blog

GRAVE WAR is here!

The Revision Game, Part one--2nd drafts: The Big Picture

What's Next?