National Blues

The RWA loops are flooded with topics about the national conference, which I'm not going to, and it's sort of depressing. I think I'm going to open a savings account called "conference cash" and start saving for next year now.

I was looking at the program the other day, and I was amazed by how almost every waking hour is filled with so many classes I'd have trouble deciding where to go if I attended. My con experience is limited to the "book festival" in my home town that is much more about local authors promoting themselves than workshops for improving craft (as in maybe two workshops in three days.) So, ignorant newbie that I am, when I was figuring out how much a conference would cost, I balked at the figure, assuming it couldn't possibly be worth the entrance fee, let alone travel and hotel. I still wanted to go, but I was sort of skeptical. In the last few months, I've learned a lot about what I'll be missing. Of course, the timing and the funds didn't line up this year. But next year, somehow, I will make it.

What are some of the conferences you have been too? Good experiences, bad experiences?

Comments

Rachel Vincent said…
This is my first RWA, so I can't say yet whether or not the cost is worth it. But I'll be making that decision soon... ;-)
Anonymous said…
You might want to try the South Carolina Writer's Conference, in Myrtle Beach in October (http://www.myscww.org/2007_conference.htm). It's not hideously expensive, within driving distance so you don't have to fly, and there are lots of workshops to choose from. I've been three times, and if I wasn't dancing at faire in October, I'd go this year. If you decide to go, tell Faith Hunter I sent you!
Kalayna Price said…
Rachel: Have fun! Let me know what you think.

Misty: I'll look into the SC writers workshop conference. I've been thinking about joining the SCWW anyways, so that might work well. Thanks for the link!

Popular posts from this blog

GRAVE WAR is here!

The Revision Game, Part one--2nd drafts: The Big Picture

What's Next?