Hit the road Muse

Probably anyone who has written a book will agree that you can't wait around for the muse to come. "Sit down and bleed" they tell us. "Those who are ready and working will find their muse." Honestly, I have found that to be true advice (if not particularly welcome.)

No, my problem is not a missing muse. She goes on vacation often enough, I've learned to work without her. My problem is a distracted muse. She's always been this way, you would think I'd be used to it. How it happens: I'll be working on a project (or in need of working on a project) and all of a sudden something shiny catches her eye. Then, next thing I know, she's off chasing it into unknown and bizarre places. Maybe I should call her Alice.

You would think my muse would be ready to get back to work. She had a vacation from CD the whole time I was editing and most of the holidays. Plus, I fed her very well recently. But, no. Remember that question I asked last week? The one about consistency of rules in separate worlds but in the same genre? That was stemmed from an idea that's begging to be explored, and my muse is obsessed with it. I have been sitting in front of my computer, trying my hardest to work on CD, but I constantly find myself dazing out and thinking about a story that doesn't exist.

Why not follow the idea and see where it goes?

Because I know myself.

I started my first novel when I was twelve. It took me ten years and dozens of ideas that died halfway through before I finished a novel. From start to finish that novel only took me three months to write, but it was the first time I finished because I didn't let myself get sidetracked. This is the third pressing story idea I've come up with while writing CD (I really don't think my muse wants me to finish it) the first two I managed to shift to the back-burner, but this idea is much more resilient. (Of course, I was doing Nano when the other ideas surfaced, and I just didn't have time to so much as think about them.)

Since my muse refuses to leave it alone, I'm kicking her out. Yup, that's the plan. I think I'll do better on my own than with her trying to drag me into a completely different world.

Meet Sammy. He has kindly volunteered to take the place of my muse while she is in time out. (Don't I wish it were that easy) Sammy is very disappointed that the story I'm working on has neither pirates nor leopards in it, but he decided he would lend a hand anyways. We will see how that goes. Actually, Sammy was a Christmas present from my hubby. I've always wanted a build-a-bear, but have never been able to cajole anyone into making one for me, so this year he did. The hubby said it was the most embarrassing thing he's ever done, but isn't Sammy cute?

Well, back to work. My word count for the day is at a dismal 500 words. (eeps!) I need to concentrate and get some serious typing done.

Update: Well, I'm ending the day at 1700 words. Much better, but not quite my goal (which is currently 2.5k a day.) It is time for bed though.

Comments

Rachel Vincent said…
Oh my gosh, you totally have to name your muse Alice. That analogy is too good not to use. ;-)
Kalayna Price said…
LOL. I don't know. That might encourage her.

*Note* I don't actually believe in a muse per se, I just like personifying the idea.

Popular posts from this blog

GRAVE WAR is here!

The Revision Game, Part one--2nd drafts: The Big Picture

What's Next?