NaNo day 29: Did you see the size of those ninjas?

Okay, I admit it, the title of this post has practically nothing to do with the content. A friend tweeted the saying to another Wrimo who is pushing toward the finish line, and it made me chuckle and think about how zany first drafts can be.

Have you noticed this month that sometimes, when you maybe have no idea what should be happening next and you just need something to happen, a plot ninja (meaning something totally unexpected and probably a little out there) sneaks on the page? And yeah, you might cut that craziness in the second draft, but maybe it leads you on a cool new path you would have never considered without the weird ninja. I've detailed my pre-plotting routine, and I am very much a plotter, but I have to tell you, I do love when a plot ninja shows up and gives me a new twist to work with.

Anyone finding an abundance of plot ninjas? Any really interesting plot ninjas?

Well, we are pushing toward the final moments of this challenge. I'm almost back on track, and should finish up tomorrow. Here is my current word count:


48198 / 50000 words. 96% done!

How is everyone else doing? What is your wordcount as we enter the final day?

Big Congrats to Ginger, our first writer to cross the 50k finish line!! Wooohoo! *happy dance* Ginger, please email me at Kalayna (at) Kalayna (dot) com and let me know how you'd like your name listed in the acknowledgements of Twice Dead. (Each of you, as you finish, should email me unless you want me to use your screen name.) Also, I'll be drawing winners on December 1st, so make sure you stop by and post your final word count before then. (If you need a reminder of what is in the drawing, you can find out here)

Good luck in the final day! I hope to see a lot more of you cross the finish line!

Comments

Tyhitia Green said…
I'm at 45,031, so no late night writing tomorrow. I'm getting up in the morning and finishing. Uh, well later this morning, that is. :-D
Anonymous said…
I did it! Sorry to sound so surprised. I hit the halfway mark on my wordcount with ten days left. I really didn't think that I was going to pull this off.

Finishing word count: 50120
Kai-Lee Kenniz said…
I think my entire novel is pretty much riddled with plot ninjas at this point. Every time I sit down to write I find that one of my characters is saying something I didn't expect or revealing a twist that I didn't see coming myself. Even when I set down a plot and scene list for myself, I always end up finding myself rethinking and rewriting things based on changes that have randomly come out in the course of writing. Sneaky plot ninjas!

47,581 / 50,000
So close! Will make it today!

Popular posts from this blog

GRAVE WAR is here!

The Revision Game, Part one--2nd drafts: The Big Picture

What's Next?